The Council required the DC Taxicab Commission (DCTC), now the Department of For-Hire Vehicles (DFHV) to establish a Disability Taxicab Advisory Committee, now referred to as the Accessibility Advisory Committee. The mandate of the Committee is to review and advise DFHV on how to make for-hire vehicle service in the District more accessible for individuals with disabilities.
The Committee is tasked with producing an initial comprehensive report and an annual report thereafter, to be made publicly available on the accessibility of for-hire vehicle service in the District and how it can be further improved. The Committee considers the need for access to all for-hire vehicle services in the District, including taxis and transportation network companies, for people with disabilities and older adults.
DC Code § 50–301.25. Accessible public and private vehicles-for-hire - 151.1 KB (pdf)
The District Department of For-Hire Vehicles (DFHV) is soliciting applications from qualified individuals to serve on the Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC). The AAC helps the agency shape the future of for-hire services by advising on ways to improve vehicle accessibility for people with disabilities and older adults in the District. AAC Members represent the disability community (advocates) and the vehicle-for-hire industry including taxi drivers, Transportation Network Company (TNC) operators (e.g., Uber, Lyft, Via), and taxi company or association representatives.
Current membership list and 2023 membership application documents are attached below:
- 2023 AAC Membership Application due by Friday, September 29, 2023
- AAC Current Membership and Contact Information - Aug 2020
The AAC meeting schedule will be set by the chair, and DC law requires that the committee meet at least quarterly. The committee currently meets on the second Tuesday of every other month from 4:30 pm to 6:30 pm:
Calendar year 2023 meeting dates are as follows:
- March 14, 2023
- May 16, 2023
- July 11, 2023
- September 12, 2023
- November 14, 2023
Past meeting recordings can be found here:
- September 12, 2023- Click the date for the meeting video
- July 11, 2023 - Click the date for the meeting video
- May 16, 2023 - Click the date for the meeting video
- March 14, 2023 - Click the date for the meeting video
- December 14, 2022 - Click the date for the meeting video
- September 13, 2022 - Click the date for the meeting video
- July 12, 2022 - Click the date for the meeting video
- May 10, 2022 - Click the date for the meeting video
- January 12, 2021 - Click the date for the meeting video
- March 9, 2021 - Click the date for the meeting video
- April 13,2021 - Click the date for the meeting video
- May 11, 2021 - Click the date for the meeting video
Members of the public may make a 5-minute statement to the committee at the close of each meeting. Any person wishing to address the committee must contact the Chair or staff liaison one week prior to the meeting to indicate their interest. The DFHV staff liaison Faye Dastgheib can be reached at [email protected].
For accommodation, requests contact the Office of Disability Rights at (202) 724-5055. Please note that accommodation requests, including sign language requests, should be made at least five business days before the meeting.
The committee is responsible for producing an annual report and presenting it to the Director of DFHV. Past annual reports can be found here: