Know Your Rights
Taxi service is regulated by the Department of For-Hire Vehicles to promote safe, accessible and affordable rides. To ensure the best ride experience possible, please follow the guidelines below applicable to both drivers and passengers:
- Drivers and passengers should display mutual respect.
- Abuse or disrespect is not allowed.
- Credit cards must be accepted for payment.
- Passengers have the right to be taken to their destination.
- Driver's taxi license must be displayed.
- Seat belts must be worn; violators may be subject to a $50 fine.
- Service animals are transported free of charge.
- Smoking in the vehicle is prohibited.
- Failure to pay fare is a crime punishable by law.
Please be advised of your rights as a passenger and driver; and always behave responsibly. Passengers should enter the vehicle, be seated, close the door and instruct the driver of their destination. The driver is prohibited from denying service based on the destination. All taxis must have a functioning taximeter that can accept credit card payments.
If you feel you have not been treated fairly contact the Department of For-Hire Vehicles at (855) 484-4966 24 hours a day/7 days a week and/or submit your complaint here.
The DC Department of the Environment provides information, data and guides regarding vehicle emission standards, inspection and maintenance schedules and fuel efficiency.