The For-Hire Vehicle Advisory Council (FHVAC) was created by the Transportation Reorganization Amendment Act of 2015 (effective June 22, 2016). The purpose of the FHVAC is to advise the Department of For-Hire Vehicles (DFHV) on all matters related to the regulation of the vehicle-for-hire industry. At least once every six months, the Director (or designee) of the DFHV shall meet with the chairperson of the FHVAC to discuss recommendations provided by the FHVAC to the DFHV. The DFHV shall make publicly available all recommendations discussed between the DFHV and the FHVAC, the DFHV's decision in response to the recommendations, and an explanation of the decision made by the DFHV.
The FHVAC is composed of eleven members appointed as follows: the Director (or designee) of the Department of For-Hire Vehicles (DFHV); the Director (or designee) of the District Department of Transportation (DDOT); and nine community representatives who do not work for the District government appointed by the Mayor as follows: two District residents who operate public or private vehicles for-hire in the District, two representatives of companies providing vehicle for-hire services in the District, two representatives of the hospitality or tourism industry in the District, and three District residents unaffiliated with the vehicle for-hire industry, who regularly use public or private vehicles-for-hire in the District.
The initial terms for the nine community representatives are staggered with three community representatives appointed for one year, three community representatives appointed for two years, and three community representatives appointed for three years. The community representatives will serve three year terms following the initial staggered terms. No community representative shall serve more than two consecutive terms, which shall not include an appointment to fill a vacancy due to removal, resignation, or death of a member. The chairperson is elected from among the nine community representatives and serves as chairperson for a term of two years. The FHVAC shall meet on a quarterly basis and more often as needed.
The FHVAC has met on the following dates since it was created in June 2016 (click on the meeting date for an official transcript):
- February 8, 2017
- June 22, 2017
- October 18, 2017
- March 22, 2018
- June 21, 2018
- September 25, 2018
- December 12, 2018
2019 Meeting Schedule
The members of the FHVAC are as follows:
- Linwood Jolly - (District resident) - Chairperson
- Jason Arvanites – (Representative of company providing vehicle-for-hire services in the District)
- Dawit Dagnew - (District resident operator of a public or private vehicle-for-hire)
- David Do (Department of For-Hire Vehicles)
- Elliott Ferguson II – (Hospitality industry member)
- Erik Moses – (Hospitality industry member)
- Evian Patterson – (District Department of Transportation)
- Jeffery Schaeffer – (Company providing vehicle-for-hire services in the District)
- Anthony Thomas – (District resident operator of a public or private vehicle-for-hire)
- Dotti Love Wade – (District resident)
- Anthony Wash – (District resident)