The Public Hearing on Rate Increase will be held 10 am, Tuesday, November 29, 2011 at 441 4th Street, N.W., at the Old Council Chambers. The purpose of this Public Hearing is to elicit factual information concerning the rate increase that will allow the Taxicab Commission to arrive at an evidentiary decision. The Commission will consider and use as its guide the factual information presented by all participants. The Public Hearing will consist of two phases. The first phase will include group presentations and the second phase will include individual speakers that must register with the Commission by 3:30 pm on November 25, 2011. The Commission will hear presentations from both proponents and opponents or other views of the rate increase. The presentations are expected to address the current subject matter of a rate increase and the ancillary conditions related to it.
To date, the following groups have been confirmed to make presentations to the Commission during the first phase. (Presentation times will vary among groups and will be announced at the hearing.)
- Nicholas A. Maxwell – representing a group of independent owners
- Roy D. Spooner – representing Yellow Cab Company of DC
- Nathan Price – representing DC Professional Taxicab Drivers Association
- Negede Abebe – representing Small Business Association of DC Taxicab Drivers
- Solomon Keene, Jr. – representing the Hotel Association of Washington, DC, and
Lynne Breaux – representing the Restaurant Association Metropolitan Washington
- Gerry Widdicombe – representing the Downtown BID
- Barbara B. Lang – representing DC Chamber of Commerce
The following guidelines have been set and will be followed during the Public Hearing on November 29, 2011:
Rules for Phase One
- Each group must adhere to their designated time limitation.
- A Taxicab Commissioner can make inquiry at anytime during a presentation to engage in a discussion with the presenter. This time will not be deducted from the presenter’s time limitation.
- Each group must provide the Commission with the name and title of each person appearing in their group by 3:30 pm on November 25, 2011.
- All groups agree to engage in cross questioning. The purpose of cross questioning is to develop facts regarding the proposed rate increase.
- At the conclusion of group presentations, the second phase will start with individual speakers limited to five (5) minutes.
Rules for Phase Two
- Each individual speaker must register to speak.
- Each individual speaker will be given five (5) minutes to speak on the proposed rate increase.
The Commission anticipates that all groups and individuals will be respectful of the guidelines mentioned above and reasonable in your adherence to the subject matter – rate increase.