For-hire vehicle companies and operators offer services to millions of individuals a year within the District of Columbia. To ensure safety and service within the District, the Department of For-Hire Vehicles provides outlets for passengers and members of the public to file a complaint whenever a violation by a for-hire vehicle occurs within the District.
When filing a complaint against a for-hire vehicle operator or owner, please include your name, mailing address, daytime phone number and email address. There are several methods to contact the Department of For-Hire Vehicles’ complaints office:
- Complete the online Department of For-Hire Vehicles Complaint Form
- Hand deliver your letter to the Agency at 2235 Shannon Place SE, Suite 2001, Washington, DC 20020
- Call: (855) 484-4966 or (202) 645-7300
- Fax your letter to (202) 889-3604
- Send via US Postal service
- Email your complaint to [email protected]
- Twitter: @DC_DFHV
The complaint should contain all of the details concerning the incident including, date, time and information identifying the operator involved. To aid us in identifying an operator, please provide any of the following: name, license and identification number (Face ID card), vehicle license tag, or personal vehicle identification number (PVIN). The operator’s Face ID card can be found on the front passenger visor and the passenger information monitor located on the back of the front passenger seat. The PVIN, an alphanumeric identifier, is located on the dome light on the roof of the vehicle.
Once your complaint is received by the Department of For-Hire Vehicles, the complaint process begins. The for-hire vehicle complaint process consists of the following four stages:
- Acknowledgment Stage: You will receive an acknowledgment response from the Agency within seventy-two (72) hours. A case ID number will be provided to track the status of the complaint.
- Investigation Stage: The complaint will be investigated to identify the operator involved. The operator will receive an invitation for a voluntary resolution conference with the Agency.
- Resolution conference Stage: The Agency and the operator meet to discuss resolution of the complaint.
- Closed Stage: You will be notified when a decision is reached on your complaint. Possible decisions include the Agency not taking action on the complaint, resolving the matter during the resolution conference or referring the matter to the Office of Administrative Hearing for adjudication. If a hearing is required to adjudicate the matter, your cooperation through testimony is necessary. You will be contacted via email or telephone with the hearing date, time and location.
Throughout the complaint process, each complainant will receive email notification as their complaint progresses to the next stage. For more information please visit the For-Hire Vehicle Complaint Process.
Discrimination by For-Hire Vehicle Operators or Companies is Illegal in the District of Columbia:
If you believe you have been discriminated against by an operator or company, please fill out Section II of Department of For-Hire Vehicles Complaint Form and your complaint will also be submitted to the Office of Human Rights. Filing a complaint with the Office of Human Rights is cost-free and does not require a lawyer. You can learn more at ohr.dc.gov.
Contact Email: [email protected]
Contact Phone: (855) 484-4966 or (202) 645-7300