Important Information to For-Hire Operators: Proper Use of Car Free Lanes
Under Mayor Muriel Bowser's leadership, the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) is implementing Car Free Lanes in several of the District's busiest transit corridors. Signage, pavement markings, and red paint will designate the lanes as bus only; the list of current and planned Car Free Lanes is below. As of October 16, 2020, taxis and private for-hire vehicles (such as Uber, Lyft, Via) are prohibited from traveling in and performing pickup and drop-off services from within the Car Free lane.
The exception is for taxis and private for-hire vehicles servicing a customer with a disability. People with disabilities include Transport DC users, other customers who use wheelchairs, walkers or another mobility device, or have mobility limitations. Otherwise, private for-hire vehicles are prohibited from driving, stopping, or standing in these shared bus and bicycle lanes. For-hire vehicles are only allowed to enter a Car Free Lane to make a turn at an intersection or driveway, as permitted by signage. The fine for unauthorized vehicles driving in a Car Free Lane is $200.
As of October 2020, DDOT has installed or is constructing Car Free Lanes in the following corridors:
- H/I Street NW roughly between Pennsylvania Avenue NW and 13th Street NW
- Georgia Avenue NW between Florida Avenue NW and Barry Place NW
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue SE between W Street SE to St. Elizabeths East Campus
- 14th Street NW between Euclid Street NW and Newton Street NW
- M Street SE between Half Street SE and 10th Street SE (under construction)
- 16th Street NW between H Street NW and Arkansas Avenue NW (construction start expected December 2020)