Vehicle Inspection Officer Complaints
Complaints against a Vehicle Inspection Officer (VIO) for alleged improper conduct can be submitted to the Department of For-Hire Vehicles. The identity of the complainants will be kept confidential. The complaint should contain as many details concerning the incident as possible including a description of the issue or problem, the name of the officer(s), and the date and time of the incident. Also include your name, mailing address, daytime phone number and email address, and, if applicable, the company name (or digital dispatch service), license plate number, the DFHV Face ID of the driver, or the Public Vehicle Identification Number (PVIN) of the vehicle. Additionally, please provide any supporting documentation with your complaint (i.e., videos, audio recordings, eyewitness account).
There are four methods to file your complaint to DFHV:
1) Complete and submit the Vehicle Inspection Officer Complaint Form; or
2) Download, print, and complete the Inspection Officer Complaint Form attached below, then:
• Hand deilver the completed form to the Department of For-Hire Vehicles at 2235 Shannon Place SE, Suite 2001, Washington, DC 20020; or
• Mail the completed complaint form to the Department of For-Hire Vehicles, 2235 Shannon Place SE, Suite 2001, Washington, DC 20020; or
3) Submit your complaint to [email protected]; or
4) Call (202) 645-7300 or (855) 484-4966
You will receive an acknowledgment notification with your case ID number from the Department of For-Hire Vehicles upon receipt of your complaint. Please respond to any request for additional information promptly to avoid delay in resolving your complaint or the closing of your case. Your complaint will be investigated to determine if any regulations outlined in DCMR Title 31 may have been violated. Upon determination of the actionable complaints, DFHV will hold an informal constructive meeting with the VIO to resolve the matter. You will be notified of the complaint outcome after the resolution effort has been completed.