Tuesday, January 17, 2017
Media Contact: Neville Waters (202) 645-6020; [email protected]
The Department of For-Hire Vehicles, in conjunction with the Department of Transportation, the Metropolitan Police Department and the U.S. Secret Service have developed a plan regarding for-hire transportation. The intent is to guide operations that will be conducive for traffic flow, congestion relief and public safety.
For-hire vehicles will be able to provide service outside of the designated restricted “blackout zone” and will conduct pick-up/drop-off at designated staging zones. For-hire drivers should note that normal operations will be significantly impacted during the period from January 19, 2017 through January 21, 2017.
1. The following four (4) Taxi Stands are established in close proximity to the inauguration perimeter and access to the walk route:
- 1200 block of Maryland Avenue, SW (Mandarin Oriental Hotel)
- 1700 block East Capitol Street, NE (Alternate is Lot 3 at RFK Stadium)
- 1000 block of 9th Street, NW (Marriot Marquis)
- Kennedy Center transportation loop (Hall of States curbside)
2. Private operators (i.e., Uber, Lyft and Via) will implement a Blackout Zone and advise anyone requesting service from within the Blackout Zone to proceed to the nearest location(s) outside the blackout zone in order to locate their vehicle. The Blackout Zone will be in effect only on Inauguration Day (January 20, 2017); however, it should be noted that pick-up/drop-off restrictions may be extended.
3. Limousine operators licensed in a jurisdiction outside the District must apply for a Special Event Decal to be authorized to provide point-to-point service in the District beginning Thursday, January 19, 2017 and expiring Monday, January 23, 2017. Applications for a Special Event Decal are still available and can be submitted at DFHV.dc.gov. Trip data must be returned by January 31, 2017.
4. Three (3) locations have been identified to facilitate passenger drop-off and pick-up away from the inaugural event for all for-hire vehicles. These locations are:
- Kennedy Center transportation loop (Hall of Nations curbside)
- Lot 3 at RFK Stadium
- Capital Riverfront (1200 block New Jersey Avenue, SE)
5. For more information about road closures visit the MPD.
6. For more information about security visit the Secret Service.
7. Other details are available at 2017 Presidential Inauguration.