Taxicab operators who have vehicles that are older than eight (8) model years but less than ten (10) model years may complete an application to waive the eight-year vehicle age retirement requirement under Title 31 DCMR § 609.3 for one calendar year. To qualify for the waiver, the operator must show proof that the vehicle has been driven no more than 275,000 miles and has passed a 150-point inspection by an independent ASE certified mechanic. No taxicab company or association may self-certify the 150-point ASE inspection. The initial charge for the waiver application is $ 50.00. A One-Stop registration fee of $50.00 may be assessed where applicable.
The vehicle shall meet other eligibility criteria for the waiver as follows:
1. Have passed its two (2) most recent required DMV inspections;
2. Be in excellent mechanical condition, as evidenced by passage of a 150-point inspection administered by an independent third party Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certified inspection service, any fleet, company, or association may not self certify;
3. Be in excellent condition in appearance, including having no body damage on its exterior;
4. Not be a salvaged vehicle or declared a total loss;
5. Not have been driven more than two hundred seventy-five thousand (275,000) miles at the time the waiver application is filed.
All other public vehicle-for-hire requirements under Title 31 of the DCMR are still applicable.