The Independent Vehicle Business (IVB) is a District of Columbia based businesses formed by Maryland and Virginia residents for the purpose of allowing the registration of public vehicles-for-hire (taxicabs, limousines, and black cars) in Washington, DC as independent owner-operators. An IVB can be any type of District of Columbia based business (a corporation, an LLC, an LLP, or a sole proprietorship).
This final rulemaking creates a pathway for non-District residents to own and operate DFHV licensed taxicabs and other luxury class vehicles, allowing them to legally provide point-to-point service in the District of Columbia. Applying for an IVB license is easy. All documentation required is outlined below.
Documents required for Independent Vehicle Business (IVB) License
- Completed One-Stop form
- Completed IVB Addendum
- Current DC DMV vehicle registration card
- Current DMV vehicle inspection sheet
- Current personal automobile insurance policy
- Current personal driver’s license issued by DC, Maryland, or Virginia
- Public vehicle-for-hire operator’s license (face card) for taxicab, black car, or limousine
- Copy of prior year federal and DC income tax returns
- DCRA certificate of District-based business (corporation, LLC, LLP, or sole proprietorship)
- DCRA certificate of occupancy for place of business in DC
- DCRA certificate of registration of a trade name (optional)
- DCRA clean hands certificate
- For initial and renewal independent owner-operator authority: $50
- For initial IVB license: $150
- For renewal IVB license: no charge
- All payments must be made by check, money order, or Visa/MasterCard. Checks and money orders must be payable to DC Treasurer.
Complete the application for IVB Owner-Operator Authority, the application for IVB License and the IVB Addendum which are attached below. If you have any questions, please contact the Client Services Department by email at [email protected] or call (202) 645-7300.