MEDIA CONTACT: Neville Waters, (202) 645-6020; [email protected]
The For-Hire Vehicle Advisory Council (FHVAC) will conduct its initial meeting on Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at 10:30 am in the Second Floor Hearing Room of 2235 Shannon Place, SE. The FHVAC was established in 2016, when the DC Taxicab Commission was abolished, to advise the Department of For-Hire Vehicles (DFHV) on all matters related to the regulation of public and private for-hire vehicles including: taxis, limousines, Uber, Lyft, Via, Wheelz, etc…operating in the District
"With input from the advisory council, the Department looks forward to leveling the playing field, fostering innovation, and ensuring passengers have excellent riding experiences," said DFHV Director Ernest Chrappah.
The FHVAC is composed of 11 members including: the Director (or designee) of DFHV; the Director (or designee) of the District Department of Transportation (DDOT); and 9 community representatives who do not work for the District government and are appointed by the Mayor to include two District residents who operate public or private vehicles for-hire in the District; two representatives of companies providing vehicle-for-hire industry services in the District; two representatives of the hospitality or tourism industry in the District; and three District residents unaffiliated with the vehicle for-hire industry who regularly use public or private for-hire transportation services in the District.
A chairperson shall be elected from among the 9 community representatives at this first meeting for a term of 2 years, with elections slated for every 2 years thereafter. The FHVAC is required to meet at least on a quarterly basis.
The members of the FHVAC in alphabetical order by last name are:
- Jason Arvanites – Representative of vehicle-for-hire company in the District
- Hana Bekele – District resident operator of a public or private vehicle-for-hire
- Ernest Chrappah – DFHV Director
- Elliott Ferguson II – Hospitality industry representative
- Linwood Jolly – District resident
- Erik Moses – Hospitality industry representative
- Evian Patterson – DDOT representative
- Jeffery Schaeffer – Representative of vehicle-for-hire company in the District
- Anthony Thomas – District resident operator of a public or private vehicle-for-hire
- Dotti Love Wade – District resident
- Anthony Wash – District resident