The For-Hire Vehicle Advisory Council (FHVAC) shall be composed of 11 members appointed as follows: the Director (or designee) of the Department of For-Hire Vehicles (DFHV); the Director (or designee) of the District Department of Transportation (DDOT); nine community representatives who do not work for the District government, appointed by the Mayor to include two District residents who operate public or private vehicles for-hire in the District; two representatives of companies providing vehicle for-hire industry services in the District; two representatives of the hospitality or tourism industry in the District; and three District residents unaffiliated with the vehicle for-hire industry, who regularly use public or private vehicles-for-hire in the District.
The community representatives shall be appointed for a term of 3 years, with initial staggered appointments of 3 community representatives appointed for one year, 3 community representatives appointed for 2 years, and 3 community representatives appointed for 3 years. The community representatives to serve the one-year term, the community representatives to serve the 2-year term, and the community representatives to serve the 3-year term shall be determined by lot at the first meeting of the FHVAC. Each community representative shall serve until the appointment of a successor. No community representative shall serve more than 2 consecutive terms, which shall not include an appointment to fill a vacancy due to removal, resignation, or death of a member. The Mayor may remove a community representative for cause. An appointment to fill a vacancy occurring during a term due to removal, resignation, or death of a member shall be made in the same manner as other appointments and for the remainder of the unexpired term. A chairperson shall be elected from among the 9 community representatives at the first meeting of the FHVAC, for a term of 2 years, and every 2 years thereafter. The FHVAC shall meet on a quarterly basis (more often as needed).
The purpose of the FHVAC shall be to advise the DFHV on all matters related to the regulation of the vehicle for-hire industry. At least once every 6 months, the Director (or designee) of the DFHV shall meet with the chairperson of the FHVAC to discuss recommendations provided by the FHVAC to the DFHV. The DFHV shall make publicly available all recommendations discussed between the DFHV and the FHVAC, the DFHV's decision in response to the recommendations, and an explanation of the decision made by the DFHV.
The members of the FHVAC are as follows:
- Jason Arvanites – Representative of company providing vehicle-for-hire services in the District
- Hana Bekele – District resident operator of a public or private vehicle-for-hire
- Ernest Chrappah – Department of For-Hire Vehicles
- Elliott Ferguson II – Hospitality industry member
- Linwood Jolly – District resident
- Erik Moses – Hospitality industry member
- Evian Patterson – District Department of Transportation
- Jeffery Schaeffer – Company providing vehicle-for-hire services in the District
- Anthony Thomas – District resident operator of a public or private vehicle-for-hire
- Dotti Love Wade – District resident
- Anthony Wash – District resident